Trend Watch: Nautical Finds
Trend Watch: Nautical FindsMay 21, 2012
Each summer, as the Fahrenheit begins to rise, nautical-inspired products start cropping up on shelves everywhere from big box stores to high-end fashion houses and local boutiques, so much so that the signature red, white, and blue hues have become more of a summertime staple than an in-one-year-out-the-next trend. It’s not hard to understand the appeal, though. Done right, nautical nods can add both classic elegance and casual beach chic without feeling contrived. And although it’s hard to beat the crisp clean lines of a navy and white French sailor shirt, we’ve rounded up a few of our favorite maritime-inspired pieces.
1. Coral & Tusk Throw Pillow: Made of soft oatmeal-colored linen each pillow is hand-embroidered. Something on your mind? Leave a message to someone special in the design’s hidden front pocket.
2. Baguette Board from Terrain: Dip-dyed in red and white this sleek serving plank references old-school rescue floats used by the Coast Guard.
3. Billy Kirk Belt: Bespoke belts made of nautical webbing work for him or her.
4. J.Crew Scarf: Keep flyaways under wraps with this bold silk duster.
5. Mariner Lamps from Fleet Objects: Cast in porcelain from old fishing floats, these pendant lamps come in four fresh colors.
6. Authentic Models Brass Sandglass from Sir Jack’s: Originally used to measure a ship’s speed, a brass hourglass looks pretty darn good on a desk or bookshelf too.
7. Social Primer’s Daysailer Duffle: Inspired by SP designer Cooper Ray’s love of sailing, this durable canvas and leather tote is the perfect weekend carry-all.