1. For notes to family and friends, strike through any formal part of the name at the top of the letter to keep things casual.
2. Always write out the date in the far right corner, opposite the salutation.
3. Begin the body of the note directly under the “r” in “Dear.”
4. Don’t sweat your penmanship—a handwritten note is always better than any electronic substitute.
5. A punchy envelope liner acts as wrapping paper for your note. Just be sure to seal only the tip of the envelope. A fully adhered flap is difficult to open and might obscure the effect altogether. arzbergerstationers.com
All that said, don’t get too bogged down in the details. Any thoughtful note is a good one.