Job Opening: Art Production Assistant
The position supports G&G’s photo, art, and digital teams
Garden & Gun seeks an organized, focused, and detail-oriented individual for this role to support the photo, art, and digital teams. This team player undertakes a variety of tasks to support the production of our print magazine and digital edition while assisting with photo department responsibilities. This is an outstanding opportunity to gain a thorough knowledge of the magazine’s editorial creative process.
This position reports to the Photography & Visuals Director.
Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
ART + PRODUCTION
• Prep, troubleshoot and traffic print layouts through all stages of production.
• Oversee all communication with offsite prepress team.
• Create/update templates, style sheets, and libraries.
• Check layout specs, including bleed, trim, resolution, color space, and file management.
• Coordinate photo release. Guide the color correction process with the photo department.
• Ship final edit files to prepress, after a thorough design and preflighting quality check.
• Process all photo department paperwork: invoices, contracts, and budget management.
• Assist with photo shoot production – booking travel, studios, coordinating messengers, obtaining permits, distributing call sheets, etc.
• Maintain the master photo status, photo credits and captions for each issue.
• Post production duties such as archiving photo, limited usage, contributor mailing list.
• Manage the creation and distribution of G&G digital editions after each magazine close.
• Digital PDFs of edit and ad pages, and all other digital versions.
• Create and upload all assets for Apple News.
• Assist in the production of iPad editions with the art director.
The successful candidate will possess the following skills/abilities:
• Excellent organizational and time management skills.
• Ability to support multiple endeavors in a fast-paced environment.
• Strong attention to detail.
• 1-2 years editorial art and production experience in a consumer magazine highly desired.
• Strong layout production skills and knowledge of page makeup and pre-flighting highly desired.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in art, design, photography, or related field.
• Expertise in InDesign.
• Proficient in additional Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.) as well as Word/Excel/Outlook/file transfer systems.
• Highly organized team player.
For immediate consideration please email your resume and cover letter to
Garden & Gun Magazine, LLC is a lifestyle brand anchored by its award-winning national magazine, Garden & Gun, that covers the best of the South, including the sporting culture, the food, the music, the art, the literature, the people and their ideas. With a national audience of more than one million passionate and engaged readers, the magazine has won numerous awards for its journalism, design, and overall excellence. The publication was launched in the spring of 2007. The company and editorial team are headquartered in Charleston, South Carolina, with advertising sales offices across the United States.
Garden & Gun Magazine, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer in all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, and placement.
Job Opening: General Manager, Garden & Gun Club in Atlanta
The person will be responsible for guiding the dining experience and operations at our restaurant in Atlanta
Job Opening: Garden & Gun Fieldshop Store Manager
The person will be responsible for managing the store, including customer satisfaction, sales, and staffing
Job Opening: Marketing Copywriter
The person will create engaging copy for use across all Garden & Gun platforms
Food & Drink
A State-by-State Guide to the South’s 35 Best Oysters
Oyster experts from around the South weigh in on their favorite oysters, by state
Food & Drink
How an Award-Winning Pastry Chef Doctors Up Boxed Cornbread
Even Kelly Fields whips up a box of Jiffy every once in a while. Here’s how she makes the store-bought stuff her own
Five Out-of-the-Way Spring Break Escapes
Remote Southern retreats to help you unwind and unplug