Job Opening: Art Production Assistant
The position supports G&G’s photo, art, and digital teams
Garden & Gun seeks an organized, focused, and detail-oriented individual for this role to support the photo, art, and digital teams. This team player undertakes a variety of tasks to support the production of our print magazine and digital edition while assisting with photo department responsibilities. This is an outstanding opportunity to gain a thorough knowledge of the magazine’s editorial creative process.
This position reports to the Photography & Visuals Director.
Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
ART + PRODUCTION
• Prep, troubleshoot and traffic print layouts through all stages of production.
• Oversee all communication with offsite prepress team.
• Create/update templates, style sheets, and libraries.
• Check layout specs, including bleed, trim, resolution, color space, and file management.
• Coordinate photo release. Guide the color correction process with the photo department.
• Ship final edit files to prepress, after a thorough design and preflighting quality check.
• Process all photo department paperwork: invoices, contracts, and budget management.
• Assist with photo shoot production – booking travel, studios, coordinating messengers, obtaining permits, distributing call sheets, etc.
• Maintain the master photo status, photo credits and captions for each issue.
• Post production duties such as archiving photo, limited usage, contributor mailing list.
• Manage the creation and distribution of G&G digital editions after each magazine close.
• Digital PDFs of edit and ad pages, and all other digital versions.
• Create and upload all assets for Apple News.
• Assist in the production of iPad editions with the art director.
The successful candidate will possess the following skills/abilities:
• Excellent organizational and time management skills.
• Ability to support multiple endeavors in a fast-paced environment.
• Strong attention to detail.
• 1-2 years editorial art and production experience in a consumer magazine highly desired.
• Strong layout production skills and knowledge of page makeup and pre-flighting highly desired.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in art, design, photography, or related field.
• Expertise in InDesign.
• Proficient in additional Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.) as well as Word/Excel/Outlook/file transfer systems.
• Highly organized team player.
For immediate consideration please email your resume and cover letter to
Garden & Gun Magazine, LLC is a lifestyle brand anchored by its award-winning national magazine, Garden & Gun, that covers the best of the South, including the sporting culture, the food, the music, the art, the literature, the people and their ideas. With a national audience of more than one million passionate and engaged readers, the magazine has won numerous awards for its journalism, design, and overall excellence. The publication was launched in the spring of 2007. The company and editorial team are headquartered in Charleston, South Carolina, with advertising sales offices across the United States.
Garden & Gun Magazine, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer in all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, and placement.
Job Opening: Integrated Marketing Coordinator
The person in the position will coordinate and execute marketing programs for G&G brand extensions
Job Opening: Fieldshop Sales Associate
This part-time/seasonal position will be based at the Fieldshop boutique at the Dewberry hotel
Mexico Beach Wins G&G’s Favorite Southern Beach Town Bracket
Among 32 beloved Southern beach spots, a recovering Florida town takes the title
Food & Drink
The Mad Scientist of Pawpaws
Largely the domain of foragers, the biggest edible fruit in the South has mostly been forgotten. A quietly obsessed Quaker from West Virginia has made it his life’s mission to change that
Food & Drink
How an Award-Winning Pastry Chef Doctors Up Boxed Cornbread
Even Kelly Fields whips up a box of Jiffy every once in a while. Here’s how she makes the store-bought stuff her own
Arts & Culture
The Top-of-2021 Reading List for Southerners
G&G contributors, editors, and Southern book lovers share new releases and old favorites to read right away this year—and a couple forthcoming releases already on preorder