Job Opening: Design Director, Marketing
The individual will manage Garden & Gun’s marketing design team
Note: This position is no longer open.
Garden & Gun seeks an experienced Design Director to manage our marketing design team in Charleston, South Carolina. The ideal candidate is creative, detail-oriented, has proven managerial skills, as well as magazine and media experience. Candidate should have a clear understanding of magazine branding and experience working with editorial and advertising partners. Design Director will be responsible for developing estimates and budgets and ensuring projects are managed to budget. The Design Director will also have superior design skills and experience producing content across all media platforms including print, digital, social, and experiential. This is an opportunity for the ideal candidate to become a leader in a dynamic brand while engaging their own design skillset.
The position reports to the Associate Publisher, Marketing.
Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
● Managing day-to-day activities of in-house design team to support Marketing, Advertising Sales and brand extensions
● Responsible for producing content across all media platforms including print, digital, social, and experiential
● Collaborating with advertising and editorial partners to develop design content
● Developing and managing estimates and budgets
● Ensuring design content comports with magazine branding principles
Successful candidate will possess the following skills/abilities:
● Managerial and mentoring aptitude, with a focus on developing talent within the department
● Proven, superior design skills across multiple platforms
● Excellent organizational and time management skills
● Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously under tight deadlines
● Experience working with editorial and advertising partners
● Proven track record of accuracy and attention to detail
● Exceptional communication skills with emphasis on collaboration and efficiency
● Familiarity with the Garden & Gun brand
● A minimum of eight to ten years of graphic design or art director experience. Must show real-world application in business, corporation or agency environment. (Pay commensurate with experience.)
● Hands on experience with logo design, typography, color, print layout design, print production and image selection.
● Proficient use of InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and other visual design tools
● Demonstrable graphic design skills with a strong portfolio
● Excellent people and management skills
Garden & Gun Magazine, LLC is a lifestyle brand anchored by its award-winning national magazine, Garden & Gun, that covers the best of the South, including the sporting culture, the food, the music, the art, the literature, the people and their ideas. With a national audience of more than one million passionate and engaged readers, the magazine has won numerous awards for its journalism, design, and overall excellence. The publication was launched in the spring of 2007. The company and editorial team are headquartered in Charleston, South Carolina, with advertising sales offices across the United States.
Garden & Gun Magazine, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Enter Now: G&G’s 2020 Good Dog Photo Contest
Enter and vote for your favorite pup in this year’s reader photo contest
Tell Us Your Great Southern Love Story
Have a classic photo of your grandparents’ wedding? A story of how your parents met? Share them here
Job Opening: Associate Manager, Digital Marketing
The individual will be responsible for executing digital marketing programs for advertising partners
30 Southern Heroes
From conservationists to cultural champions to preservationists to storytellers, these groundbreakers are making the South a better place
Food & Drink
The Ultimate Guide to Grits
Kernels of wisdom about one of the South’s fundamental foods
Food & Drink
Forgotten Southern Recipes
From pear salad and tomato pudding to vinegar pie and bacon crackers, we’re more than ready for these old-school classics to make a comeback