Job Opening: Managing Editor
The person will oversee and coordinate the magazine’s print and digital production
Garden & Gun is seeking a managing editor to join our small but dedicated team to oversee and coordinate the magazine’s print and digital production. The ideal candidate will be a highly organized, energetic air traffic controller well-versed in the world of magazine-making and adept at multitasking, keeping cool under pressure, and motivating staffers to do their best work. You thrive in the details—you dream in spreadsheets! Under your watch, G&G will stay on schedule, on budget, and maintain the high quality expected from and enjoyed by the magazine’s loyal print and digitalaudience.
Duties will include, but not be limited to:
● Working with both the editorial and digital teams to develop, maintain, and update lineups, production and content schedules, and editorial calendars
● Coordinating and running regular meetings for future issue planning
● Liaising with the production and sales teams on issue pagination needs
● Managing the freelance budget, story and staff expenses, and contracts
● During bimonthly production, monitoring proof progress, brainstorming and implementing solutions to hurdles, reading proofs, and managing final editorial sign-offs
● Hiring and supervising interns
● Managing fact-checking and fact-checkers
● Attending occasional events on behalf of the company
● Top management of occasional special projects, such as books, etc.
● As desired or as time allows, writing an occasional print or digital piece
● Other duties and responsibilities as may be assigned
The ideal candidate will have:
● A bachelor’s degree in journalism, English, or a related field, or commensurate experience in a related field
● Five-plus years of journalism management experience, ideally at a magazine
● Knowledge of Adobe Suite, particularly InDesign, and Asana or similar digital work management system
● Excellent communication and leadership skills
● The ability to work well under pressure, troubleshoot, and problem solve
● Strong interpersonal and multitasking skills
To apply, please send a resume and statement of interest to email@example.com.
Garden & Gun Magazine, LLC is a lifestyle brand anchored by its award-winning national magazine, Garden & Gun, that covers the best of the South, including the sporting culture, the food, the music, the art, the literature, the people and their ideas. With a national audience of 3.5 million, the magazine has won numerous awards for its journalism, design, and overall excellence. The publication was launched in the spring of 2007. The company and editorial team are headquartered in Charleston, South Carolina, with advertising sales offices across the United States.
Garden & Gun Magazine, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer in all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, and placement.
Job Opening: Designer, Marketing
The person will design content across all media platforms, including print, digital, social, and experiential
Job Opening: Associate Digital Marketing Manager
The person will manage the brand’s digital marketing and advertiser programs
Sign Up for Our Talk of the South newsletter
Our flagship newsletter provides the best and latest from the editors of Garden & Gun.
The Lasting Power of Larry McMurtry’s Not-So-Secret Texas Truths
In a new book, writers pay homage to his words. Read an exclusive excerpt here
Food & Drink
Six Grilling Tips from Rodney Scott and Bryan Furman
The Southern pitmasters share a few rules of thumb
Arts & Culture
Meet Blackmon Huckabee Jr., Clemson’s Viral TikTok Crooner
A Tiger wide receiver scores big on SportsCenter—with his singing voice